On Saturday the 16th of September, we will be doing an around the Green Tour at 10 am. This will be the only tour of this weekend. Please contact Dennis at 203-233-1026 for more details.
Due to scheduling issues, special tour only this Labor Day Weekend. This tour will leave the Town Hall at 3 pm and last about 75 minutes. We will visit the Guilford Green and parts of historic downtown Guilford.
Please call Dennis at 203-233-1026 for details. All other scheduled tours are cancelled for this weekend.
Come to the Green, enjoy the Guilford Art Expo, and take a Historic Guilford Walking Tour this weekend. Tours are Saturday at 10 am and 2 pm and Sunday at 1 pm. Our guides are ready to share our 375 years of history and architecture on their student created, award winning tours.
Visit http://guilfordartcenter.org/expo/ for details about the Art Expo on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Come celebrate Guilford’s 375th anniversary by learning more about the history, people, and architecture of beautiful Guilford in the comfort of an air-conditioned bus!
The 2 hour tour of the major historic areas of Guilford includes the Guilford Green, Town Center, West and East River areas, Sachem’s Head, Leete’s Island, Town Marina, the Dudley Farm Farmer’s Market, and North Guilford sites.
All tours are on Saturdays and begin and end at the Community Center, 32 Church Street, Guilford, CT at 9:30 a.m.
Meet at Community Center off the Green, 32 Church St
Prices: $12/person ~ $10/senior & child in own seat
$30/family (max 5) ~ child on lap under 6 –free
Tickets at: Guilford Department of Parks & Recreation
32 Church Street, Guilford, CT 06437
Choose program #30110 to register on line at www.guilfordparkrec.com or you can register in person at the Community Center. Contact the Parks and Recreation office at 203-453-8086 for additional information or questions. Space is limited so register early.
In recognition of Guilford’s 375th anniversary, the owners of the Pelatiah Leete House on Leete’s Island Road in Guilford would like to invite the public to attend a first annual Simeon Leete Day celebration, to be held at the historic house in which one of Guilford’s brave soldiers who fought in the Battle of Leete’s Island on June 18, 1781 lived, and in which he also died of his wounds, the following day.
Simeon Leete was the great-great-grandson of Guilford founder Governor William Leete, whose direct descendants continue to live on Leete’s Island and in other parts of Guilford to this day. The battle in which Simeon fought and died was one of the largest military engagements fought on Connecticut soil during the American Revolution, involving upwards of 250 fighters at its peak.
The house in which he lived and died is the only structure which was standing on the day of the battle that remains, and his gravestone is around the corner in the triangle of land at the intersection of Leete’s Island Road and Moose Hill Road. His home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. And it will be open to the public for tours from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. along with docents from the “Early Guilford Days” public school program for Guilford 4th grade students on hand to answer questions about early Guilford history.
An inaugural “History Hike” will also be offered jointly under the auspices of the Guilford Land Conservation Trust and the Guilford Preservation Alliance’s Heritage Tourism Initiative to trace the route taken by refugees from the battle in 1781 up Moose Hill Road to safety in the Colonial Caves site in Westwoods, crossing lands still owned by the Leete family, as well as lands held in trust by the Guilford Land Conservation Trust.
A free will offering for the house tour, to benefit the “Early Guilford Days” program for the coming year, is requested—but not required– from participants in the day’s events.
Because public parking is virtually nonexistent in the vicinity of the house, visitors are strongly encouraged to use the free shuttle service, leaving from the Green in front of Town Hall, starting at 9:45 a.m. and running every 30 minutes thereafter. This service will be provided through the generosity of the town’s 375th Committee. Pre-registration is encouraged and can be arranged by calling (510) 841 2108 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
An official Town 375th Committee event.
What a great day with many visitors to Historic Guilford and the wonderful house museums. Our new friends Michele Herrmann from @sheisgoingplaces, and Bonnie Dingus from @homeplaceblog took the tour, took pictures, and took names.
We had other guests on the afternoon tour with Virginia and Elya as guides. Great feedback from customers and great day to be in #HistoricGuilford
Please join Historic Guilford for CT Museum Open House Day this Saturday with half price tours on Saturday at 10 am and 2 pm. Prices will be $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and children 7-12. Children 6 and under free! All tours will start at the Guilford Town Hall at 31 Park Street on the Guilford Green!
Vist the five house museums in Guilford too! The Hyland House, the Thomas Griswold House, the Henry Whitfield House, the Medad Stone Tavern, and the Dudley Farm Museum will also be open and welcoming visitors. Please click on: http://hylandhouse.org/visit-the-house/planning-your-trip-to-guilford/ for more information.
Call Dennis at 203-122-1026 for information and reservations!
Join Historic Guilford’s leader and our one of our great guides for a historic walk along the New England National Scenic Trail as it weaves through Historic Downtown Guilford. Our friends at Connecticut Forest and Parks invited us to participate this year with hikes on Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday hike leaves at 11 am from the Town Hall at 31 Park Street and Sunday’s hike leaves from the same place at 2 pm.
Each hike will take a little more than an hour with the Saturday tour returning to the start and the Sunday tour ending at the Gateway Grand Opening at Chittenden Park.
Please contact Dennis Culliton at (203) 233-1026 for more information!